Friday 14 October 2011

Zumbo's Strawberry Bubblegum Macaron


This Teaberry Gum Stand is perfect to display Hubba Bubba Bubblegum, French brand 'Malabar' would work just as well
Pop Rocks
The biggest tip that I've got when you make some of Adriano Zumbo's recipes in his new book Zumbo is to prepare as much as you can in advance so that it makes your job easier.  There is nothing worse than learning a new recipe and trying to tackle too much, spending hours in the kitchen and getting stressed.  Who wants that... nuh uh not me!  So I've bought my ingredients and all's good.  I plan to make these beauties on the weekend and although I haven't planned when, I've already started on the pop rock insert.  This recipe is going to be a bit like your progressive dinner party in that I'm going to do a bit of this and a bit of that then update this post. And, by the end hopefully it'll be an explosive hit!  

Zumbo's strawberry bubblegum macaron comprises of the basic macaron recipe, the strawberry bubblegum ganache and the pop rock insert.  

Day One - I decided to prepare the pop rock insert, turned the music up loud and had an awesome time consuming  Blue Raspberry Pop Rocks whilst I worked.  This part of the recipe is easy peasy lemon squeezy! 
Slowly microwave the cocoa butter
When it cools to 32 degrees celsius add the pop rocks and combine
You can get colour coated pop rocks or plain from Melbourne Food Ingredients Depot
This dim sum rolling pin I bought in Hong Kong worked wonders 
Roll out until a couple of mm thick and allow to set 
Work really hard to feed your face whilst concentrating
Day Two - I followed  Zumbo's basic macaron recipe instead of my own.  I made the shells with fresh egg whites and 2 grams of egg white powder just to see how they would turn out.
mmmm, not bad at all
I also smooshed up the strawberries and popped them in the fridge ready for when I need to make the ganache.  
I used 2 punnets of strawberries to get 150g of strawberry puree
Strawberry Pureee done and dusted
And, I  broke up the pop rock insert.
Day Three - Today, I made the strawberry bubblegum ganache and assembled the macarons.
First I heated the strawberry puree and bubblegum
As soon as it reached near boiling point I blended it with a stick mixer
The ganache is made of white chocolate,  cocoa butter,  butter, strawberry puree & bubblegum - there's a link to Zumbo's recipe at the bottom of this post. 
I poured the strawberry puree & bubblegum mix over the chocolate.  When cool I added the butter and cocoa butter then mixed it with a stick blender.
Bubbalicious
After I made the ganache I popped it into the fridge to set.  Then when ready I piped a very small blob onto each macaron to fix the pop rock insert.
Very posh Hubba Bubba indeed!
OMG - I'm still in shock that I made these with FRESH egg whites
These were a lot of fun to make and since its Pinktober I had to absolutely positively enter my Strawberry Bubblegum Zumbarons into this months Mactweets challenge.  Please support Breast Cancer Awareness Week.  And, remember gorgeous girls don't forget regular pap smear tests and mammograms!  
I also had to add this cool photo of a psychedelic strawberry bubblegum macaron made with leftover shells stored in my freezer.  You can see the pop rocks in the middle.  My daughters couldn't get enough of these and thought that they were AMAZING! 

For the full version of Zumbo's macaron recipe and strawberry bubblegum ganache click here.

Update: As at 19 June 13 'The Wrigley Company' confirmed to me via email that Hubba Bubba Original Gum has been discontinued.  I'm very sad :(

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always! Thank you for sharing Zumbo's link as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Wow I wish I could taste them. And beautiful! I am so happy you shared these very cool and fun (pop rocks? THAT is fun!) macs for this month's very important Mac Attack Challenge! Thanks! And be proud of extraordinary macs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one amazing macaron in both look and flavor. Brilliant job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/25/2011

    Your macarons are just perfect--I love the shot of them all lined up and the same size. And btw, pop rocks rule! Love love love them and I will have to surprise my kids one day by putting some in a very "normal" looking macaron--they will have a kick out of it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10/25/2011

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Everyone thank you for the fantastic feedback you've made my day. These macarons were super time intensive but worth it as it was to support a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your macarons rock (even with a thermometer, which I tend to shy away from but hey, if you had fun..) Need to find these pop rocks.
    Love the nail polish on that final photo and you squeezing that zany macaron reminds me of my last mammogram - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10/27/2011

    These look absolutely incredible and so much fun! I want to try one now :-) I put some popping candy in my post this month too, but yours totally trumps it. Amazing post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! The amount of time you took to prep these macarons are incredible! Great job! I really will have to try the pop rocks that both you and thelittleloaf did.

    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glorious!! I love the joy, the care and the passion you took in making these. I love the way you brought them together so beautifully! Bravo...and thank you for joining us at MacTweets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12/07/2011

    Hi,

    I want to try this recipe....but where do i find Cocoa Butter???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again everyone, I appreciate each and every comment I receive:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. To order cocoa butter, try amazon or visit my post

    http://ladymacaron20ten.blogspot.com/2011/01/macaron-ingredients-online.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1/25/2012

    Ohhh the nerves! I was given the Zumbo recipe book for christmas and this is the first recipe I'm going to attempt (of course, it has bubblegum and poprocks!!) I'm glad I saw this first though, the step by step pictures help sooth my pre-baking nerves =) Zumbo-land, here I come! haha =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great lady macaron!!!

    Question i tried this and... does your bubblegum filling get a bit runny when you make it? mine always seems to always melt and is a bit unstable :(((( any tips

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look great lady macaron!! I've tried this and my filling is a bit runny and unstable from the white chocolate. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Chris Chik - Try leaving your ganache in the fridge until it's firm enough to pipe. If it's runny it's definitely not ready. Also, if you included the cocoa butter and bubblegum these elements help stabilise the ganache and it should firm up nicely. When piping, use disposable food grade gloves to prevent the ganache from melting and when making the ganache, start with gentle circular motions from the middle and work your way out. Hope this helps:)

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.